- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 8:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 8:00 AM EST
Corning Leaders Apply for Canfield Park Grant
CORNING (WENY)---Corning's Canfield Park may look like just a small area of green grass but it's been part of the city's history since early 1800's and city leaders say the time to restore the park is now.
The city council voted to submit an application seeking a 110-thousand dollar grant from the State Office of Parks Recreation and Historic Preservation. The grant would be used to create stone walking paths, replace the old benches, and install new drainage.
The Southside Neighborhood Association and the Crystal City Parks Foundation offered to add 10 thousand dollars to the pot, as well. The Crystal City would need to come up with the rest of the money.
"If you can get a 150 thousand project for 26-thousand dollars that's really a deal," said Corning Mayor, Richard Negri.
Project Chariman, Peetie Dimitroff said, "I think it's very important to all of Corning because it is a historic park and it's the only park we have that has any chance of being restored to what it was at one time."
City leaders say more people should visit the park is the restoration project goes through. They tell us the upgrades could happen as soon as October if the grant is approved.