Child Starts Fire in Elmira

Child Sets Home on Fire

ELMIRA (WENY) --  Fire authorities say an 11-year-old boy was playing with a lighter, when he accidentally set the house at 608 East Third Street on fire on Monday afternoon.  There was damage to the house's siding and some objects inside, but no injuries were reported.  Authorities say no one currently lives in the house.

Fire officials say the child probably won't face criminal charges, but it is a reminder for parents about the importance of teaching fire safety to their kids.

"It was accidental, a learning experience, no one was hurt fortunately," says Deputy Chief Dan Sincock. "The child will probably have to go through a program educating him about the hazards of fire."

There was a fatal fire at the same location in May of 2008 that killed three people...two adult children and their father.  Authorities believe no one has lived in that house since it happened.