Elmira/Corning Regional Airport

Cigarette Causes Elmira Heights House Fire

No Working Smoke Detectors In Home

Cigarette Causes Elmira Heights House Fire

HORSEHEADS, NY (WENY)---Elmira Heights Fire officials say a lit cigarette is the cause of a structure fire that broke out late Friday night at 236 Devonshire Drive.

The homeowner discovered the fire when she opened the back door after leaving the home for two hours. The home had no working smoke or carbon-monoxide detectors at the time of the fire.

Officials say the fire was caused by a cigarette that fell from an ash tray and ignited paper and cloth material on the sofa.

There were no injuries and the family of two will be able to stay in the home.