Lit Cigarette Causes Fire; Two Family Home Destroyed
ELMIRA, NY (WENY)---Fire investigators say a lit cigarette caused the fire which destroyed an Elmira home Tuesday morning.
The fire broke out just after 8 at the duplex at 56-58 Foster Avenue in Elmira. Deputy Fire Chief, Dan Sincock, tells us the fire started somewhere near the back porch of 56 Foster on the left side of the duplex where five people lived, a mother and four children.
That side took most of the damage. The right side -- home to to two people-- has smoke and heat damage.
"On the side where the fire had started they weren't home and the kids were in school but the occupants on the right side were home, everyone got out of the building safely and we are very lucky in that respect," says Dan Sincock, deputy chief of the Elmira Fire Department.
It took about a half-hour for firefighters to get the flames under control. They've declared the two family house uninhabitable.