- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 10/21/2016 6:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 10/21/2016 6:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 10/21/2016 6:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 10/21/2016 6:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 10/21/2016 6:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 10/21/2016 2:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 10/21/2016 2:00 PM EST
Fracking Test Sites?
Fracking could be coming the Twin Tiers according to a local enviormental group.
June 5, 2012
Southern Tier (WENY) - Reports that Governor Andrew Cuomo could be bringing hydraulic fracturing to the Southern Tier earlier than expected brought people out to Binghamton this afternoon, and the move that could may be dangerous politically for the governor. There have been reports from Toxics Targeting in Ithaca, and other anti-fracking groups that the governor is looking into allowing permits to drill demonstration wells in Chemung, Tioga and Broome counties.
Walter hang of Toxics Targeting says if the state allows hydrofracking well testing it would go completely against the governor's promise to fully examine the process before allowing it to happen in New York. The three-year hydrofracking demonstration described by Toxics Targeting involves the Department of Environmental Conservation issuing permits for no more than 100 wells annually. Wells would be drilled in the Broome, Tioga and Chemung counties. All the wells would be monitored as a test of hydrofracking safety. Binghamton Mayor Matt Ryan joined fracking opponents and organizations against these test sites in Binghamton.
“We're basically saying until its safe for the entire state as a whole dont allow it anywhere don't sacrifice a community make sure that its safe before we proceed,” says Hang.
Governor Cuomo's office have not responded to confirm weather the information about the permits are true. Chemung County Executive Tom Santulli who is on the New York State hydrofracking committee, he says he has never heard of these permits.