Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY
- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/27/2015 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/27/2015 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/27/2015 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/27/2015 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/27/2015 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/27/2015 7:00 AM EST
Horseheads to Conduct Noise Study
Written By: Renata Stiehl
HORSEHEADS (WENY) -- The village of Horseheads will conduct a noise study, responding to complaints about noise near the Center at Horseheads.
The village is borrowing a decibel meter from a community in Steuben County, to monitor noise levels surrounding the Center. Village Manager Walter Herbst says a previous study done by engineers for the Center determined noise levels were will within state noise limits of 90 decibels - comparable to the sound of a train whistle about 500 feet away.
However, the report did not break down noise levels into certain times of day, which is why the Village will now conduct its own study.
"We're going to do it as close to the property line as we can. Right up the property line, so we get the best reading," Herbst said.
The village will begin monitoring noise levels laster this week, for several days. Herbst also adds Schlumberger has taken steps to reduce noise, by installing sound barriers and is adding landscaping to act as a noise buffer.