- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 11:00 AM EST
New Eco-Friendly Neighborhood
ITHACA (WENY) -- A new eco-friendly and community conscious neighborhood is headed to Ithaca.
The Aurora Street Pocket neighborhood will be a group of four homes with about a dozen people living in them. They will share food from a community garden and share resources. But more importantly, they will look after one another.
Builders of this unique neighborhood say neighborhoods like this are important because it creates a safety net for old and young family members.
"This model is perfect for multi-generational housing because the young can take care of the old as they age," says Susan Cosentini, a builder and one of the main leaders behind the project.
Each house is being built with environmentally-friendly materials, and close to shops and schools to promote walking and cycling, and reduce people's carbon footprint. Homes will include energy efficient insulation, windows and solar energy options to keep the neighborhood completely threaded with the environment.
"You could just dial
Nearby neighbors say this project fits in well with the neighborhood and the city of Ithaca.
"It seems to fit well with what a lot of people are thinking about in terms of getting away from automobiles for transportation and making the most of space and doing everything in an energy efficient way," says Alex Lesman, a next-door neighbor.
The three houses being added to the property cost between $245,000 and $280,000, but already have buyers. Construction is expected to wrap up between six and eight months.
To get more information about the project, visit http://www.newearthliving.net/ .