- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/21/2013 9:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/21/2013 9:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/21/2013 9:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/21/2013 9:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/21/2013 9:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/21/2013 9:00 PM EST
Air Advisory: Temp. Too Hot to Handle?
ELMIRA (WENY)---Right on cue, the first day of summer kicks off with some high temperatures.
Several Western New York Counties are under an Air Quality Health Advisory today.
The DEC and New York Legislators issued the warning from 11 this morning to 11 tonight due to possible three digit temperature readings.
Tioga, Tompkins, Schuyler and Chemung county are all part of the advisory.
These air advisories go into effect when levels of pollution, either ozone or fine particulate matter are expected to exceed an Air Quality Index value of 100.
Automobile exhaust and out-of-state emission sources are the primary causes of ground level ozone and are the most serious air pollution problems in the northeast.
- Use mass transit or carpool instead of driving.
- Conserve fuel and reduce exhaust emissions by carpooling
- Turn off lights and electrical appliances when you aren't using them
- Use fans to keep air ciculating and set air conditioners to 78 degrees.
- Re-set your fridge and freezer
For Your Health:
- Drink lots of water and stay away from caffeine, sugary drinks and alcohol.
- Take a cool shower or bath.
- If you like the heat, try to get inside in the air conditioning for a few hours so you're body stayes cool.
- Never Leave Kids or Pets in the car
Fore more info about animals in heat: www.chemungspca.org
- Limit Physical Activity
- Wear light and loose clothing