Operation Recognition Offers Diplomas for War Veterans

Written By: Renata Stiehl
Operation Recognition Offers Diplomas for War Veterans

     HORSEHEADS, NY (WENY) -- A lot of older American veterans left school early to fight for our country, and never got their high school diplomas. But now, they can.
      The Horseheads Central School District will offer high school diplomas to eligible veterans who left school before graduation to fight in World War II, Korea or Vietnam.
      It's part of a state program called "Operation Recognition". To be eligible, a veteran must be a New York state resident, with a satisfactory discharge from the Armed Forces.

The following is information provided from the Horseheads Central School District:

To be eligible, a veteran must be a resident of New York State and have been a member of the United States Armed Forces and engaged in qualified services during one of the following periods:

World War II - December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946

Korea - June 27, 1950 to January 31, 1955

Vietnam - May 1, 1961 to April 30, 1975

The veteran must have received a satisfactory discharge in order to be eligible for the program. One of the following documents is required: a copy of a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD214), a Certificate of Service, or a letter from a recognized veterans agency affirming service.

To apply for a diploma, eligible veterans should bring their honorable discharge certificate or letter to the Superintendents Office, South Wing of Horseheads High School (Center Street side) school days from 8am to 3pm.  

There is no fee for this program.

Please note: Veterans do not need to have attended Horseheads schools or any New York State school to be eligible for the program. They need only to affirm in writing that they do not possess a high school diploma and provide one of the documents listed above to show proof of service.

Eligible veterans possessing a high school equivalency or GED diploma are also eligible. 

Veterans who wish to receive a diploma or who have questions should contact Susan Pirozzolo at supirozz@horseheadsdistrict.com or 739-5601, x4295.