- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
Snyder Memorial Highway Dedication
COHOCTON (WENY) -- Nearly a hundred people came out to a Cohocton recreation center on Tuesday afternoon to honor a fallen New York soldier, Devin Snyder.
Army Sergeant Synder died last June while serving in Afghanistan. Her friends and family say she was a loving girl who always knew she wanted to serve her country. After her passing, the community rallied their local politicians to dedicate a portion of I-390 to their hometown hero.
Starting Tuesday, two signs will designate I-390 between exits two and three in the towns of Wayland and Cohocton as the "Sergeant Devin A. Snyder Memorial Highway".
"She paid the ultimate sacrifice and everybody will see that," say Ed and Dineen Snyder, Devin's parents. "Her name will live on forever and ever."
“This is very fitting, a great day and a great turnout from the community to be here on this beautiful afternoon," commented Sen. Tom O'Mara, one of the local politicians who worked on getting the legislation passed to make the dedication a reality.
“Devin’s never going to be forgotten her service and sacrifice will always be remembered," said Assemblyman Phil Palmesano, who also sponsored the legislation.
The Snyders have two other children still serving in the armed forces.
Transportation workers plan to put the signs up at both exits Tuesday morning.