Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
WIND CHILL WARNING
- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 11:00 AM EST
Gov. Cuomo Declares State of Emergency for Chemung County
The following is a press release:
GOVERNOR CUOMO DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY FOR CHEMUNG COUNTY AFTER SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today declared a state of emergency for Chemung County, allowing New York State to better coordinate and respond with local governments to the widespread damage caused by a line of severe thunderstorms that caused possible tornadoes, winds in excess of 60 miles per hours, and hail over one inch in diameter.
The storms caused widespread power outages, damage to homes, apartments, businesses, public and private property, and damaged and downed thousands of trees.
"This afternoon's severe thunderstorms, including strong winds, possible tornadoes, and large hail, caused serious damage in Chemung County and the surrounding areas. This state of emergency declaration will help the state get critical resources to communities that were hit the hardest," Governor Cuomo said. "New York State will continue to respond as quickly as possible to the severe weather moving across the state and do whatever is needed to protect New Yorkers. Additional disaster declarations will be issued as needed."
A state of emergency enables New York to mobilize state resources to assist local governments more effectively and quickly, and if necessary gives the Governor the authority to suspend statutes, rules and regulations that would impede response and recovery activities. The declaration further gives the Governor the ability to direct state resources to local governments in need. The declaration applies to Chemung County and contiguous areas.