- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 1:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 1:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/30/2015 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
Storm Damage Update from Chemung County
The following is a press release:
ELMIRA - The Chemung County Emergency Management Office is reporting a tornado came through the City of Elmira today at approximately 4pm causing significant damage. At this time emergency crews are still assessing the damages and removing downed trees and power lines from the roadways and structures. There are still roads which are impassable throughout the City. Residents are reminded to never go near down trees or power lines.
The City of Elmira is currently under a state of emergency which limits travel in the city to emergency response traffic only. The City is under a curfew this evening from 8pm to 8am tomorrow morning. All residents should stay in their homes.
New York State Electric and Gas has reported 16,740 customers without power in Chemung County. Downed power lines should be reported to NYSEG.
The 911 Communications Center is overwhelmed with calls. Residents should not call 911 unless they have a true emergency. Emergency personnel are asking that people stay off their phones, including cell phones, to free up lines for emergency use. Currently cell service is very spotty within the County.
The Chemung County Department of Public Works is asking that residents do not call their office to report downed trees in the roadway to free up lines for emergencies.
For those residents needing shelter for the evening, the Red Cross has set up a shelter at Elmira Free Academy. The shelter is for individuals whose homes are significantly damaged and they do not feel safe staying in their home. The shelter is not for individuals who merely do not have power. Crews are working to restore power as soon as possible.