- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/15/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/15/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/15/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/15/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/15/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/15/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/15/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/15/2013 1:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/15/2013 1:00 AM EST
Congress Passes Continuing Resolution
WASHINGTON, DC (WENY) -- Shutdown averted. The House of Representatives followed in the footsteps of their Senate counterparts and passed a bill today to fund the federal government until the end of the fiscal year.
This vote came sooner than many here on Capitol Hill expected. After the Senate passed the continuing resolution - or CR - Wednesday night with bipartisan support, many House members took it as a positive sign. The final vote came out 318-109, with more than a hundred Democrats joining their Republican counterparts.
Our local congressmen - Republicans Tom Reed, Glenn Thompson, and Tom Marino all voted in favor of the CR…as did Democratic Senator Bob Casey on Wednesday.
"The worst thing we can do at this time is to have a government shutdown. This resolution allows us to pay for the operations of the government between next week when the deadline hits and September 30, which is the end of the fiscal year," said Sen. Casey, (D - Pennsylvania).
"We're at the post-sequester numbers, which was important to me, because it's a path of continuing to cut at the root cause of the debt crisis that we face, and that's the spending-driven problem out of Washington, DC," explained Rep. Tom Reed (R- NY 23rd).
The fiscal fight is far from over. On Thursday, the House passed a budget for 2014 authored by Rep. Paul Ryan - but not one Democrat voted for it. Meanwhile, the Senate is expected to stay for a few more days to iron out a budget there. Remember, both houses signed off on a bill saying if they don't pass a budget, they don't get paid.