Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
WIND CHILL WATCH
- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 10:00 AM EST
Back to School Assistance
Written By: Nick Quattrini
With prices going up, and school supply lists getting longer, some area families have a hard time preparing their kids for the new school year. But there is help.
Several local non-profits are making sure area kids are ready for class.
Most students look forward to going back to school, to make new friends, and to learn new things. But for some students going to school means, not having the right supplies, or enough of them, not having new clothing, or a full stomach.
Catholic Charities of Chemung and Schuyler is hosting 2 different "Back to School giveaways", one of the giveaways starts on Thursday night in Schuyler County, and one in Chemung County on August 27th, 10am-12pm & 1pm-3pm (Chemung County residents only).
To help feed students in need, The Food Bank of the Southern Tier is also ramping up efforts for its Backpack Program, which starts in October.
But some organizations like the Salvation Army have seen an explosion when it comes to the need for back to school necessities. In Elmira, the Salvation Army has a backlog of 20 families in need assistance with school supplies.
Major Craig Haggerty of the Elmira Salvation Army said, "We traditionally have done a major back to school campaign with a major corporation, and they are not doing it anymore. So we are looking for individuals who can step up."
These organizations are asking for your help, no matter what time of the year it is. Give them a call and ask to see what they need or how you can help.