Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
Child Furniture Safety
Written By: Tanja Rekhi
[WENY] -- A blog post by a grieving mother is getting a lot of attention on the internet.
The woman who lost her young child due to a simple household mishap - and she's trying to get the word out and many people are taking notice.
The young girl, named Meghan, died an early December morning, after her dresser tipped over on her while her parents were asleep.
Now, her mother, Kimberly, has decided to spread young Meghan's story in hopes her tragedy can spur other parents to take action.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, a child dies every two weeks when a TV, furniture or appliance falls on him or her.
84% of all these types of deaths between 2000 and 2011 were children younger than age 9.
Kimberly's viral blog post tells the heart-wrenching story of her daughter's death and she hopes parents will see it as a warning and take action to anchor their furniture to the wall.
Furniture anchors are inexpensive and can be found at most home improvement stores or online.
"That's a wonderful safety measure you know and if you have furniture that's not able to be anchored, I think one of the best things that you can do is things that the child wants to have accessible, put them in the bottom drawer you know, then you're not climbing to the very top, said Brooke Bennett of the Nonnie Hood Parent Resource Center.
The link to Kimberly's blog page is: http://
lovelightlaughterandchocolate. blogspot.com/2012/12/be-with- me-just-for-today.html?m=1