Early Morning Elmira Fire
A fire broke out just after 2:30 this morning.
February 5, 2014
Elmira (WENY) – A fire broke out just after 2:30 Wednesday morning. Smoke was pouring out the 2nd floor window at 153 East Washington Avenue.
Officials say they located items within the residence consistent with the manufacturing of methamphetamine. Elmira Police say the cause of the fire appears to be a meth lab.
Four people at the home were injured during the incident and treated for non-life threatening injuries. The incident is still under investigation.
In total, twelve people were displaced including four children. The Red Cross provided shelter, food, clothing and comfort kits for one of the families. Volunteers are still assessing the need for the second family.