- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 10:00 AM EST
Elmira Psych Center to Remain Open
BINGHAMTON, NY (WENY) -- The fight is over. Governor Andrew Cuomo announced late Thursday afternoon, the state will keep both Elmira Psychiatric and the Binghamton Health Centers open.
"I'm pleased to announce that the inpatient services and the Binghamton Health Center and Elmira Psychiatric Center are going to continue," Governor Cuomo said during a video conference with local and state leaders. Cuomo said New York State will be keeping both centers open, just with reduced inpatient services.
The Elmira Psychiatric Center's 72 inpatient beds will be reduced to 48. However, the state will open 48 new community residential beds in Elmira. Cuomo says they'll be increasing resources, not decreasing them.
Local officials like Senator Tom Omara, Assemblymen Phil Palmesano and Chris Friend, and Chemung County Executive Tom Santulli where in Binghamton to learn the news.
Cuomo says at the end of the day the points they made were persuasive, hence the change especially on children and family beds.
"I think there's gonna be a great sense of relief from the jobs that are going to be saved for those that work there and for the community residents that receive these services," said Senator Tom O'Mara (R, Big Flats), after the announcement was made."
"A great day for the Southern Tier and I couldn't be happier," said Chemung County Executive Tom Santulli.
Some of those at the meeting said the announcement was a great Christmas present, and say it's a big gift to the Southern Tier.
For full details on the Governor's announcement, click here: http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/12192013-greater-binghamton-health-center