Fatal Snowmobile Accident in Steuben County
STEUBEN CO. (WENY) -- A snowmobile accident left one person dead in the Town of West Union. Investigators say 49-year-old David Price of Canisteo lost control of the snowmobile he was driving and was ejected after he went over an embankment.
Price was taken to St. James in Hornell and then Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, where he later died. Authorities say Price was not wearing a helmet.
Undersheriff Jim Allard has a few recommendations for riders who will be out in the snow.
- Stick to trails and lanes that are designated for snowmobiles
- Be aware of fences, ditches and other obstructions that could cause the machine to flip
- Never ride a snowmobile while impaired
- Always wear a helmet
- Use machines and designated paths in line with your experience level
- Never operate a machine under the influence of drugs or alcohol