Elmira/Corning Regional Airport

News

Firefighter Sent to Hospital in Morning Fire

Written By: Kellie Meyer
Firefighter Sent to Hospital in Morning Fire

August 21, 2014

HORSEHEADS (WENY) - An early morning fire sent the mobile home owner and one firefighter to the hospital.
     Fire crews first heard reports of a structure fire at Maplehurst Park in the Town of Horseheads a little before 3:00A.M. Thursday morning. When they arrived there was flames coming out of the bedroom window of the mobile home. Firefighters were fighting to extinguish the flames. They also put water on the two surrounding mobile homes to ensure the fire didn't spread.
     WENY News spoke with Town and Country Fire Chief Don Fischer, he told us there was a man inside the mobile home at the time the fire broke out. The fire alarm did go off and the man was able to crawl out. 
     One of his neighbors told WENY News that the man was pounding on their door, yelling to call 9-1-1. They told WENY News Reporter Kellie Meyer that the man was elderly, around 78 years old and was ill. They said he was lucky to be alive.
     Chief Fischer told us the man was taken to the hospital for respiratory problems. He also said one of their own, one of the firefighters was taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion. 
     Just how the fire started is still under investigation. But the Chief did tell WENY News that it may have been a candle that started the blaze. The fire was confined to the bedroom, but there was heat and smoke throughout the mobile home.
     Stay with WENY News for more on this developing story.