- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 8:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
Reports Of Gunman False Alarm
HORSEHEADS---(WENY) Reports of an armed gunman in the area put many neighbors on edge in Big Flats earlier today.
The suspect involved, led police from the Arnot Mall to the Hampton Inn Suites across the road.
New York State Police got the initial call around 10:00Thursday morning of a man with a gun at the Arnot Mall.
An employee at the Burlington Coat Factory reported seeing two girls run out of the store screaming "he's got a gun!"
She then said she saw the man acting erratically, but appeared to be carrying a guitar case, not a gun.
When police were notified, the man ran across to the Hampton Inn, where police say, he went inside one of the rooms.
Hampton Inn General Manager, Brenda Curren said, "All he kept saying was they're following me and they have guns." She went on to say, "He came in through the lobby area and we followed him to see where he was going. I evacuated the hotel with all of our guests and staff to make them safe."
When police caught up to The man, he was taken into custody and taken to St. Josephs Hospital for a Mental Evaluation.
Police say there was no weapon involved and No criminal charges have been filed.
The identity of that man is not being released due to HIPPA restrictions. The State Police have closed their investigation in this case.