- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/12/2016 12:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/12/2016 12:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/12/2016 12:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/12/2016 12:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/12/2016 12:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/12/2016 12:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/12/2016 12:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/12/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/12/2016 1:00 PM EST
Southern Tier Job Fair Draws Hundreds
PINE VALLEY (WENY) -- Over 100 representatives from companies spanning from manufacturing to finance were out at the job fair today.
Both job seekers and employers were optimistic about the turn out of the event.
"I don't have a job, they have jobs. I need a job, here I am," said Brian Ellison, one of the many looking for a job.
Hundreds of job seekers, like Brian Ellison, came from across the region to the 2014 annual job fair at the Murray Athletic Center Domes in Pine Valley.
In an area that's seen its share of job losses in recent years, organizers say it's important for the community to know employers are hiring.
"Overall, the job community getting together is one of the positive aspect of this," said Charles Peacock, Executive Director of CSS Workforce New York. "Rather than the hit or miss send a resume here make a call there."
Many former employees of Belden Inc, that closed down in Horseheads were in attendance.
Scott Leff, one of those former employees, is looking for a new job and opportunity.
"We were all fairly paid and we all had a lot of years," said Leff. "Some people here were at 15,20,30 years. It's sad but we would would like to see everyone get a decent job."
Decent jobs for a decent living. That's the hope of many at the event.
Employers tell us the atmosphere at the job fair was positive, and they look forward to some new hires.
"We met quite a few potential employees," said Mike Askwith, President of Express Mart of Western and Central NY. "They have to go through our process but overall, we've seen some really, really good people here today."
"I think this is a very good fair," said Tom Lando of the Painted Post Applebees. "I think we should continue to do things like this so we can help people get their jobs and get on their feet."
If you were not able to attend the job fair today and are looking for work, you can go to CSSWFNY.COM or to Department of Labor Job Sites.