Elmira/Corning Regional Airport

News

Candles to Blame for Lormore Street Fire

Written By: Renata Stiehl
Candles to Blame for Lormore Street Fire

     ELMIRA, NY (WENY) -- Unattended candles are to blame for a fire that broke out on Lormore street on the Southside.
     The fire started in the downstairs apartment of the two-apartment home. Fire officials say the woman who lived there went to the store before the fire broke out, and arrived home to find fire crews battling the flames.
     The upstairs neighbor was able to jump to safety. Unfortunately, several dogs inside the home died in the blaze. Firefighters were able to rescue one, and reunite it with the owner.
      The house suffered major damage, as the front porch and roof collapsed as firefighters arrived on scene. The cause has been ruled accidental.