- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 8:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 8:00 AM EST
Menigitis Outbreak : Products Recalled
(WENY)---The pharmacy at the center of the meningitis outbreak announced Sunday a voluntary recall of every product it makes.
The company, New England Compounding Center, released a statement saying, "This action is being taken out of an abundance of caution due to the potential risk of contamination"
The outbreak is spreading quickly, all because of those steroid shots to the spine for patients.
In the past 24 hours, at least 27 more people have become sick. That brings the total number of cases to 91, including seven deaths.
Health officials say the steroid is contaminated with a fungus that goes from the spinal fluid up to the brain, causing a rare form of meningitis.
The Former Chief Counsel of the FDA, Sheldon Bradshaw, says the industry has been hijacked by those now just making cheap copies of, safer drugs.
He says, "These individuals are no different than counterfeiters. Instead of manufacturing fake uh Rolexes, they're manufacturing fake drugs."
Officials say there are no reported cases of meningitis in New York related to steroids.
Both Guthrie and Arnot Health Systems tell WENY TV News that they do *not* use products from New England Compounding Center.