- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 8:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 8:00 AM EST
Newfield Foot Chase
UPDATE: Officials tell WENY News that they tried to pull Whyte over for a parole violation in the parking lot of an Ithaca apartment complex, on Floral Avenue. Whyte failed to comply with orders from police to exit his car, drove off, even crashing into one Ithaca police officer's vehicle. That officer wasn't injured, but Whyte was not done.
Officials say he struck another vehicle on Floral Avenue, causing minor injuries to the driver of that car. The car chase then turned into a foot chase at the Robert H. Treman State Park in Newfield.
NEWFIELD - [WENY] Corbin Whyte, a man who was tried three times for murder, with each trial resulting in a hung jury, is behind bars again.
According to the Ithaca Journal, Whyte was apprehended at 6PM Wednesday, taken to an area hospital, and then transferred to the Tompkins County Jail.
No word yet on why Whyte was being chased by police, but around 5PM Wednesday, dozens of police officers and troopers spent almost an hour chasing down a suspect on foot in the Robert Treman park, right off Route 13.
Scanner reports indicated that Whyte was the suspect in the chase, and Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick also confirmed that police were looking for Whyte during the Wednesday City Council meeting.
Corbin Whyte was charged with Murder back in 2010 for the slaying of Paul Garcia at the Maple Hill Apartments in Ithaca.
Whyte stood trial 3 times, but each trial ended in a hung jury, and a 4th trial was never pursued.
Whyte was charged with and found guilty of tampering with evidence, and was sentenced to prison for 2 to 4 years. Just this year, Whyte was released on parole this March because of time served during his trials.
More details regarding the chase, and the details on what led up to the chase are expected.