Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
WIND CHILL WATCH
- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/14/2016 10:00 AM EST
Penn Yan Flooding: Businesses Damaged
PENN YAN (WENY) -- Business owners in Penn Yann are estimating tens of thousands of dollars in damages in the aftermath of the flash flooding.
Staple restaurants on Main Street, say they will likely be closed for at least a few days. Flood waters have ravaged their basements, where many store food.
Robert Champlin, owner of Lloyd's Limited, slept through rumbles of thunder and a building collapsing just next to his restaurant on Main Street in Penn Yan.
"One of my employees came up and said we have a disaster going on. I was thinking maybe a pipe broke or something, so I come down and I was quite surprised," said Champlin.
His basement was wrecked. Floodwaters turning a freezer sideways, destroying important documents, and contaminating food.
"I have to replace all of my food from the restaurant," said Champlin. "Everything from chicken to shrimp to French fries to everything we use in the restaurant and all my beer stock, my liquor stock can't be used."
He's estimating $15-17,000 of damages in inventory alone.
Next door at Angel's Family Restaurant it's a similar story. In the basement freezers are tipped over, and their stock is everywhere.
"It's just devastating, I've been here for 35 years and it's just kind of tough," said Owner, Donna Neal. "It's hard on all of us. It's been a rough winter everybody was looking forward to Spring, so they could have business."
Business owners are hopeful that they'll open back up sooner rather than later, they're aiming for the next week.