- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/7/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/7/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/7/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/7/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/7/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/7/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/7/2013 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/7/2013 5:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/7/2013 5:00 AM EST
Protestors at Governorís Cup
August 13, 2013
Watkins Glen -- (WENY) Keuka Spring Vineyards took home this years Governor's Cup in the annual New York Wine and Food Classic Wine Competition. Governor Cuomo announced the winners tonight at the Harbor Hotel, but outside protestors had a lot more to say.
Protestors were waiting with signs for the Governor. They said they're happy about their award winning wine, but they want it to stay that way.
Sandra Steingraber, Founder of New Yorkers Against Fracking, said, "our Governor is here to celebrate New York's wine and we're here for the same reason and we believe that what you love you have to protect."
Steingraber was just one of the many protestors outside the Harbor Hotel in Watkins Glen, who was worried what fracking could do to the area. "We know that lying over this landscape, pipelines, condensers, flare stacks, well heads, could bring ruin to this region", said Steingraber.
Lou Damiani, Owner of Damani Winery on Seneca Lake, explained he's concerned what it would do to the area and his business. "You cannot have it both ways you cannot industrialize the area with hydro-fracking gas storage wells and think you can produce world class award winning wines."
Carol Harben, a protestor from Hector, said, "I think this area really needs to be protected. I think all of this country needs to be protected. Certainly this is not the place to be developing."
Protestors stayed outside even after the awards were through.
Governor Cuomo didn't do any interviews tonight, he just wanted to celebrate New York Wine.