- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 8:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 8:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 8:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 8:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 8:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 8:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 4/18/2015 8:00 PM EST
State Grants Awarded to So. Tier Libraries
ELMIRA (WENY) -- Steele Memorial Library is among 10 libraries in the Southern Tier getting help for renovations through New York's Library Construction Grant Programs.
The grant program helps libraries make renovations, upgrades, and become fully accessible for people with disabilities.
Construction that needs to be done in state libraries totals more than $2 billion.
Steele Memorial Library is going to start to work on some of that construction. The library got close to $60,000 to completely replace its elevator that's broken down close to 30 times over the past two years.
"There are timea where we've actually had the fire department come in and bring someone down the stairs because the elevator broke and it's a 31, 32 year old elevator, it's the original, so it's kind of past it's useful life," said Ronald Shaw, Director, Chemung County Library District.
Here is a full list of grants awarded in the Southern Tier:
- Steele Memorial Library (Chemung County), $59,482 to replace theelevator
- Dutton S. Peterson Memorial Library (Schuyler), $8,073 for roof
- Montour Falls Memorial Library (Schuyler), $5,250 for the
installation of two furnaces
- Avoca Free Library (Steuben), $3,887 for overall building safety
renovations and improvements
- Cohocton Public Library (Steuben), $6,000 for energy efficiency
- Savona Free Library (Steuben), $4,762 for the installation of a new staircase to enhance safety and accessibility, and additional disabled parking accommodations
- Southeast Steuben County Library in Corning (Steuben County), $74,919 for broadband connectivity and window replacements;
- Southern Tier Library System (Steuben), $16,000 for meeting room
accessibility, energy efficiency and broadband improvements;
- Wimodaughsian Free Library (Steuben), $7,244 for a new handicap
accessible front door; and
- Penn Yan Public Library (Yates), $166,394 for exterior improvements including parking lot upgrades, outdoor lighting and handicap accessibility.