Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY
WIND CHILL ADVISORY
- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 1:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 1:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/30/2015 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
Tax $ at Work: Church St. Construction
ELMIRA (WENY) -- Tax dollars are being put to use in Elmira, as road construction season is well underway.
This Summer's Church Street construction is different from last year. What was supposed to be a 16 week project to improve pavement, curb and sidewalk conditions started in May 2013 and wasn't done until the end of October.
"That was a total reconstruction they put in all new curbing, all new water mains all new gas mains and all new infrastructure," said Shawn Crater, City of Elmira Street Supervisor. "That was a state grant, where this is your tax dollars at work. This road didn't need as much work to be done."
The city decides on what roads need work during the Winter. There are a total of 17 projects crews are working on. Church Street is being resurfaced from Clemens Center Parkway to College Avenue, costing about $75,00. Some water and gas mains and catch basins will be also replaced or brought up to date.
"It's $1.1 million tax dollars that are being spent on our road ways," said Crater. "The City's put a lot of money into their road program and it's getting more aggressive each year.
Crater says if everything goes as scheduled all of the projects will be done by mid-August.
Final paving on Church Street is expected to be done the week of July 21, but first, there will be a meeting with the bus station and businesses along the cooridor to determine alternate routes.