Tick Season Tips
Tips to help avoid getting bitten by a tick this season.
April 28, 2014
Twin Tiers (WENY) – The warm spring weather should be on its way to stay here in a few weeks and that means people are ready to get outside, but a warning to be aware of ticks and the Lyme disease they sometimes carry.
Here are some tips to help avoid getting bitten by a tick this season.
light-colored clothing (to spot ticks) in wooded and grassy areas.
- Tuck pants into socks and shirt into pants.
- Walk in the center of trails.
- Frequently check for ticks on clothing and on skin while outdoors and at the end of each day. - Ticks can attach anywhere but often attach to the more hidden areas such as behind the knees and ears, groin, armpits and scalp.
- Use repellents that contain DEET, picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- Remove leaf litter from yard.
- Check your pets for ticks. Pets can bring ticks into the home from outside.
Use fine-tipped tweezers to carefully grasp the tick close to the skin. Gently and steadily pull the tick out without twisting or squeezing. After removing the tick, wash the bite area thoroughly, apply antiseptic.