- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
Tom Reed Town Meeting
ELMIRA (TOWN)---(WENY) Congressman Tom Reed held a town meeting tonight in the Town of Elmira. It was a chance for constituents in New York's 23rd Congressional District to have an open forum with the Congressman.
Congressman Reed spoke candidly with constituents about a number of issues facing New York and the rest of the country including the fracking debate, Obamacare, and the national debt crisis.
Congressman Reed says he supported the budget deal and he's glad the country is moving away from the "government by crisis mentality".
He says it also opened the door to mandatory spending reductions- something he says is a necessary step to get the country's $18 trillion debt under control. Congressman Reed also a big issue affecting a lot of people here in the Southern Tier specifically- The Farm Bill.
If something isn't done soon, the Farm Bill will expire at the end of the year, but congressman Reed says he's confident that it won't come to that. He says, "I'm very optimistic that we're going to get a five year Farm Bill right when we return to DC in January. We in the House did take a measure that will put a 30 day rule into effect. That prevents that Farm Cliff or whatever you want to cal it, from occurring."
Congressman Reed says the differences between the House and the Senate on the Farm Bill are being ironed out. He's believes they'll be able to get to a final bill next month.