- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 8:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
Tree Service Under Fire for Gouging Customers
ELMIRA (WENY) -- An upstate tree service company has been ordered to pay back nearly $10,000 after an investigation revealed it was cheating customers.Attorney General Eric Schneiderman says Lonnie Drake of Upstate NY Tree Service over charged customers after the 2012 Elmira tornado. His office found Drake inflated his prices, lied to customers about giving them discounts, and charged them for services that were being offered for free by the city.
Drake has agreed to pay over $9,600 in refunds to ten customers who should have received a senior citizen discount or had been charged a separate hauling fee. He has also been ordered to pay civil penalties and costs totaling about 7-thousand dollars.
Schneiderman urges customers or businesses who believe they may have been cheated to contact his Binghamton Regional Office at 607-721-8771.