Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
WINTER STORM WARNING
- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/2/2015 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/2/2015 1:00 PM EST
Winter Car Preparations
HORSEHEADS (WENY) -- People living in the Twin Tiers are preparing for the second arctic blast this Winter. Some people were out today filling up gas cans for snow blowers. Others were making sure they're not left out in the cold.
Dorothy Borden was gearing up at the Kwick Fill in Horseheads.
"I try to keep my gas tank full when I know it's going to be cold," said Borden.
Having at least half a tank of gas in your car will reduce condensation and make it easier to start in colder temperatures. It's just one of many things Ray Benjamin, the Service Manager at Parmenter's in Horseheads recommends doing around this time of year.
"You want to be on top of actually making sure your battery is up to par and make sure your tire pressures are up to par," said Benjamin. "With the colder temperatures your tire pressure will drop."
The weather can also do a number on your undercarriage. Salt used to clear the roads can build up under there and eat away at some of your components.
"It eats at all your break lines and your fuel lines," said Benjamin. "If you don't get it cleaned up overtime, it takes a while, but eventually it will eat away at that."
Benjamin recommends getting your car cleaned or cleaning it at least once a week to avoid that. And by doing so, you're also preventing rusting. He says even if you haven't had any issues yet, it's still a good idea to get your car serviced when it's due.
"You should stay on top of your services, oil changes and your maintenance," said Benjamin. "A lot of people don't realize you have a service every 10-15 thousand mile increments. What a lot of people don't realize is it helps prolong the [life] of your vehicle."
You also want to make sure your wipers are in tact and you're using anti-freeze instead of normal windshield fluid. If you're worried about your locks or doors freezing, you can lubricate them with WD 40 before a wash.