- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/9/2013 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/9/2013 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/9/2013 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/9/2013 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/9/2013 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 12/9/2013 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/9/2013 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/9/2013 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 12/9/2013 10:00 AM EST
YOGA Helps Soldiers Walk Down the Aisle
August 27, 2013
ELMIRA -- (WENY) Plenty of brides and grooms like to get a little exercise before the big day. But what about a little exercise so that you could 'have' a big day. That's just what people at American Karate in Elmira are doing. They hosted a Yoga class tonight. The price of admission, a wedding item for a soldier in need.
"We just wanted to do a yoga class that would some how make a difference," said Shawnie Brown, Head Instructor at American Family Karate.
They're collecting something old, something new and giving it all to Wedding Dress on Call, an organization that collects wedding items and gives them to soldiers in need. Something that hits home for Shawnie, a veteran herself.
"I was in the army and I saw a lot of soldiers really have to marry quickly.
Either we were deploying and their wedding plans were cancelled or they just had to get married quick or a lot of soldiers don't make a lot of money and they just didn't have money for a big wedding," Brown added.
Yoga Instructor Maggie Kessler, came all the way from North Carolina just to teach this class.
"It helps soldiers who don't have enough time or staying at the crossroads of too much pride and won't ask for any money. So kind of bringing everything together where we've all been there and I think this is a great way to give back to the troops," said Kessler.
They collected six wedding dresses, a tux, flower girl dresses. Giving an extra special meaning to 'something borrowed'.
"I just got out my wedding dress, called my girlfriends saying you got your wedding dress? Let's donate! I'm excited to help, good cause," said Colleen Ladelia, from Elmira.
Amani Vrasic who took the class said, "we're going to send everything that we donated with very happy thoughts to the new brides
and people getting married starting on their journeys."
You can still drop off wedding items this Thursday from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM or next Wednesday morning from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM at
American Family Karate.