- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 3/13/2014 10:00 AM EST
UPDATE: Bath Teacher Not Guilty of Forcible Touching
UPDATE: After a two day trial and minutes of deliberation, a jury finds 62-year old James Cain not guilty of forcible touching. According to Defense Attorney, David Parks, the jury determined the accuser and single alleged witness were lying. The alleged incident took place in a classroom with about 20 students present. More at 5:30 and six.
BATH, NY (WENY) -- A school teacher from Bath is accused of inappropriately touching a 13 year old female student.
Bath police charged 62-year-old James Cain with forcible touching. Police say Cain intentionally touched the breast of a female student on October 17th. Cain was arraigned in Bath town court and released on his own recognizance.
According to the school district website, Cain is an English teacher at Dana Lyon Middle School. We contacted Bath Central School district acting Superintendent Wendell Binley, who sent us this statement:
"It is not the practice of the Bath Central School District to comment on pending personnel matters. Nevertheless, we can say there is an ongoing criminal investigation. The District, the Board of Education, and the administration are assisting the Village Police and the District Attorney in the investigation. We are confident that our local police and District Attorney will bring this matter to a just conclusion."