- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 8:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
Possible E-Cigarette Ban In Tompkins County
ITHACA, NY (WENY) - The use of Electronic Cigarettes may soon be outlawed at all work places in Tompkins County.
Tuesday night at the Legislature's meeting, lawmakers scheduled a September date to hold a public hearing.
The addendum to the county's smoking rules would ban e-cigarettes in all county bars, restaurants and other places of employment.
This all comes from the county's board of health's forma; request to ban e-cigarettes.
"People have concerns about second hand smoke from e - cigarettes," said Nate Shinagawa, Tompkins County Legislator. "Though it doesn't have the tar that other cigarettes do it still has the nicotine that gets transmitted that way.:
"We thought that for the publics health, the thing to do is to move this legislation forward and include e-cigarettes as a prohibited item as well," said Shinagawa.
The public hearing is scheduled for Tuesday September 2nd at 5:30PM.