- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 8:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 4/18/2015 7:00 PM EST
NY: Scam Calls for Free Medical Gear
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - The New York state attorney general's office is warning New Yorkers against scam robocalls targeting seniors and offering free medical alert equipment with back-end fees for monitoring.
The agency says it received consumer queries about a scam targeting seniors by saying they have been "approved" for the equipment at "no charge."
The calls warn of injuries and deaths because of delayed responses to medical emergencies, fires, burglaries and falls.
The callers say their business - "Senior Medical Alert" or "Senior Medical Advisors" - needs billing information to charge $35 for "monitoring" services.
According to the attorney general's office, the scammers have been using numbers with a 315 area code from central New York.
New Yorkers are advised not to give that personal information during unsolicited calls from strangers.