Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
WIND CHILL ADVISORY
- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/30/2015 7:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 1/31/2015 11:00 AM EST
Heroin Overdose Antidote Program
Written By: Asha McKenzie
TIOGA COUNTY, NY (WENY) -- Heroin is a cheap and readily available drug that poses a threat to upstate and Western New York communities.
Attorney General Eric Schneiderman wants to change that.
"Now we're taking another step to deal with the problem with opiod and opiate abuse," says Schneiderman. "And the nalaxone we are providing today, we are confident will save many many lives."
His Community Overdose Prevention program will equip local and state law enforcement with a kit that he says will be effective in stopping an overdose in its tracks.
The Broome County Sheriff's Department recently used the antidote to save a women's life.
"We will continue to try and make our communities safer by finding innovative and collaborative ways to combat drug abuse," says Schneiderman.
According to the The Federal Department of Justice, Herion related overdoses have increased by 84% between 2010 and 2012.
Patrick K. Hogan, Senior Investigator at the Tioga County Sheriff's Office says that drug abuse is no stranger to Tioga County.
"If we've got drugs on the street, that are killing people we have to focus our efforts there and remove that aspect of the drug abuse," says Hogan.
Christie Speciale, Executive Director at the Tioga County Council on Alcoholism and Substance Abuse believes this could help the heroin epidemic and the fatalities it causes.
"I think that this is truly going to save those that accidentally overdose and are going to die without it," says Speciale.