November 6, 2017
ROMULUS, NY (WENY) -- The former Seneca Army Depot in Romulus will soon be open to the public for tours highlighting the rare white deer herd which live in the area of the depot.
The 90-minute, guided bus tours will feature food plots established to restore deer herd and stop at one of the earth-covered storage igloos that once stockpiled weapons of all sizes and descriptions.
This is the first time in more than five years the former Depot has been open to the public.
The 25-passenger tour buses will leave the John and Josephine Ingle Welcome Center on Route 96A, about 10 miles south of Geneva, NY, and travel through the heart of the storage area which features 519 earth-covered bunkers, more than 100 miles of roads, and remnants of the farms that preceded the Depot.
The main attraction of the tours is the famous white deer herd, which were first discovered there in 1949. The white deer are a natural variation of the more
commonly known white-tailed brown deer.
In 2016, Seneca Iron Works owner Earl Martin purchased the former Seneca Army Depot. He then teamed up with the non-profit "Seneca White Deer" to establish "Deer Haven Park."
According to the tour website, the cost is $30 for an adult and $15 for children (between the ages of 5 -17).
Tours begin November 16th. More information can be found here: https://www.senecawhitedeer.org/