CHEMUNG Co., NY (WENY) -- With winter approaching fast, it's becoming more important to slow down on the roads.
Officials in Chemung County want to make sure drivers are ready for winter.
· Allow yourself plenty of travel time. Winter travel generally takes longer.
· Avoid driving when tired. The proper amount of rest is key before taking on winter weather tasks; rest reduces driving risks.
· Avoid the use of a cell phone or smart device while driving, even in hands-free mode.
· Provide extra distance between vehicles to allow for additional stopping time.
· Note that four-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles, while providing increased traction, don't decrease braking distance.
· Always match your speed to the road and weather conditions. Lower volume roads will have less deicing materials applied than thoroughfares.
· Make certain your vehicle's tires are properly inflated and undamaged.
· Turn off the cruise control when driving on any slippery surface (wet, ice, sand).
· Always ensure seat belts are used by all vehicle occupants, not just children and front seat occupants. Take an additional step and ensure your pets are secured while riding in the car.
For more information on safe winter driving, click here.