WENY News - Multiple departments respond to Caton house fire, three sent to

Multiple departments respond to Caton house fire, three sent to hospital for heat exhaustion

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE (Thursday, May 17): According to South Corning Fire Chief Adam Nehring, the cause of the fire was determined to be accidental "misuse of a barbecue grill". 

The three firefighters taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion were released that night. 

CATON, N.Y. (WENY) -- The calls for the house fire on West Caton Road in Caton started coming in around 8 o'clock Monday night.

According to a South Corning Fire Department official, at least a dozen departments were called out to 120995 West Caton Road. After hours of trying to knock the fire down, three firefighters were sent to the hospital for heat exhaustion.

Because of the sheer amount of fire trucks and first responders, a portion of the road was shut down. Flames and smoke could be seen from a distance leading to the scene.

The fire official on-scene says the fire is under investigation, and the house is uninhabitable. The American Red Cross is assisting.

At the time of the fire, the officials says four people were inside. They were able to make it out of the home without injury.

As of 11 pm Monday, crews were still working at the scene, and a portion of West Caton Road was still blocked off.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Frankly and WENY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.