- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/2/2015 4:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/2/2015 1:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 2/2/2015 1:00 PM EST
Your forecast for February 28th
TWIN TIERS -- Good morning! Here's your latest First Warning Forecast:
Temperatures: Wide ranging temperatures through the morning single digits and subzero readings. By afternoon, numbers will be in the 14° to 18° range.
Wind Chills: Early morning wind chill readings will average between -10° and -20° with afternoon wind chill readings between -5° and +5°
Wind: Wind speeds through the morning will be slightly elevated, however, wind speeds by afternoon should diminish, which will be key to the forecast today. By afternoon, wind speeds will only be in the 0-5 mph range.
Weather: Skies will be bright today with a good deal of sunshine. It'll be dry today and tonight with mainly clear to partly cloudy weather through the night. It'll be cold, too.
Watches, Warnings, Advisories: A wind chill ADVISORY is posted through mid morning. Wind chill advisories are issued when a combination of cold temperatures and wind speeds make for dangerously cold conditions to any exposed skin. Make sure any exposed skin is covered. Remember, frostbite can occur on exposed skin in 20 minutes with wind chills Near -20°. Dress warm and in layers if you need to be outside for any prolonged period of time. Also, make sure you are wearing a hat, gloves or mittens.
You can stay updated with the latest weather forecasts here:
Here is the watch, warning and advisory summary from the National Weather Service:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY
143 AM EST FRI FEB 28 2014
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PENN YAN...SENECA FALLS...AUBURN...
143 AM EST FRI FEB 28 2014
...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS
* LOCATIONS...CENTRAL NEW YORK AND NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.
* HAZARDS...DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS.
* WIND CHILL READINGS...AS LOW AS 15 TO 24 BELOW.
* WINDS...WEST 5 TO 15 MPH...WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES...5 BELOW TO 5 ABOVE EARLY THIS MORNING...SLOWLY
RISING TO NEAR 10 DEGREES BY MIDDAY.
A WIND CHILL ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN WINDS COMBINE WITH VERY COLD
TEMPERATURES TO CREATE DANGEROUS CONDITIONS FOR EXPOSED SKIN.