- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 10/21/2016 6:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 10/21/2016 6:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 10/21/2016 6:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 10/21/2016 6:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL 10/21/2016 6:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 10/21/2016 2:00 PM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 10/21/2016 2:00 PM EST
Flash Flood Watches For Sections of the Twin Tiers
A flash flood WATCH is in effect for Tioga County, PA, Steuben, Yates, Schuyler, Chemung and Tompkins counties through late tonight.
The very humid weather today will promote the development of downpours and storms. As of this update, no flash flooding is happening. That's what a watch means, we are watching it, but for right now, we do not have any advisories or warnings.
Many spots late last night and early this morning did pick up some decent rainfall. There will be new downpours with thundershowers developing today. This will lead to a potential for flash flooding. The atmosphere is pretty saturated and has a ton of moisture in it. It is what meteorologists call "precipitable water". There is also a weather front nearby and that front is moving very slow. A combination of precipitable water in the atmosphere, slow moving front and a stagnant, almost steady state of the atmosphere puts our area at risk for downpours, storms and flash flooding today. We will keep you updated.
You can stay updated with the latest weather forecast here:
Also, stay up to date and track storms with us by using our "Zoom Radar" feature on the weather section of the our website. Here is a link to the radar: www.weny.com/weather-radar
Here is more detailed information from the National Weather Service:
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PENN YAN...SENECA FALLS...CORNING...
341 AM EDT WED JUN 25 2014
...FLASH FLOOD WATCH NOW IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...
THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FOR
* A PORTION OF CENTRAL NEW YORK...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING
COUNTIES...CHEMUNG...SCHUYLER...SENECA...STEUBEN AND YATES.
* THROUGH LATE TONIGHT
* SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN WILL IMPACT
THE AREA TODAY INTO TONIGHT. RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 3 TO 4 INCHES
ARE POSSIBLE IN A FEW LOCALIZED AREAS. RAINFALL OF THIS
MAGNITUDE WOULD BE ENOUGH TO CAUSE FLASH FLOODING OF SMALL
STREAMS...AND URBANIZED AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.
* THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR LOCALIZED VERY HEAVY RAINFALL. AT THIS
TIME IT IS DIFFICULT TO PINPOINT WHICH AREAS WILL SEE THE
HEAVIEST RAINFALL. IF YOU LIVE IN...OR HAVE TO DRIVE THROUGH A
FLOOD PRONE AREA...YOU SHOULD BE PREPARED TO TAKE QUICK ACTION
SHOULD HEAVY RAIN AND FLASH FLOODING MATERIALIZE.
A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS THAT CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP THAT LEAD
TO FLASH FLOODING. FLASH FLOODING IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION.
YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION
SHOULD FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS BE ISSUED.