Police say James Davis has died after exchanging fire with police after a low speed chase that ended on Lattabrook Road in Horseheads.

It all started with a report of a robbery on Johnson Street in the City of Elmira just after 5am. Police say shots were fired inside the home. Authorities were able to identify Davis as the suspect.

A chase began after he was located around 9am Thursday morning. Two of Davis' tires went flat, making it a low speed chase. Elmira Police Chief Joseph Kane says Davis pulled out a handgun when they were on Lattabrook Road. He fired shots at EPD officers, who returned fire.

Davis was transported to a local hospital, where he later died. Police says David had an active warrant for a parole violation.

He was on parole after serving an 8 year prison sentence. He pleaded guilty to a weapons charge in relation to a shots fired investigation at the Pioneer on S. Main Street in July of 2009.

UPDATE 1:45:

A police chase in the city of Elmira has ended with the suspect being shot.

According to Detective Bureau Captain Anthony Alvernaz with the Elmira Police Department, the pursuit stemmed from a home invasion in Elmira. The suspect allegedly entered a home on the city's North Westside around 5 am on Thursday.

Elmira Police located the suspect around 9 am. A chase then began on East Hill and ended on Lattabrook Road in Horseheads.

Captain Alvernaz says the suspect fired shots at law enforcement, who returned fire. 

The suspect was hit. He was transported to an area hospital.

The suspect's name is not being identified at this time. 

Elmira Police, the Chemung County Sheriff's Office and New York State Police are all involved in the investigation. The investigation remains ongoing.


HORSEHEADS, NY (WENY) - A reported police chase has turned into an active scene on Lattabrook Road in Horseheads.

It started in Elmira.

An eye witness tells WENY News he saw the suspect fire shots from a car door in the area where the chase came to an end in Horseheads.

According to scanner reports, the person was wanted by the state Division of Parole. WENY News has contacted the Parole agency to confirm that information.

WENY's Cara Demers is on the scene; she will have a live report coming up on WENY News at Noon.

*This is a developing story. Stick with WENY News for updates*