Family displaced after fire in the Town of Veteran
VETERAN, N.Y. (WENY) -- A family living in the Town of Veteran is temporarily without a home after an early Tuesday morning fire.
According to our media partner, The Star Gazette, Millport Fire Chief Mike Cleveland says the fire broke out around 6:30 a.m. on Burch Hill Road in the Town of Veteran, which is just south of Millport. Cleveland said by the time crews arrived, the house was filled with smoke.
The homeowner told firefighters the fire broke out in the basement. Cleveland told the Star Gazette everyone was able to get out safely and the fire was put out quickly. He added the damages were confined to the basement and some floor joists in the area of the kitchen.
The family reportedly has temporary living arrangements as the home is repaired.
The Village of Horseheads and Town and Country Fire Departments provided mutual aid to Millport.
The fire is currently under investigation by Chemung County Fire and Emergency Management.