Walk to End Alzheimer's coming to Watkins Glen International October 14
WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. (WENY) -- On Saturday, October 14th, Watkins Glen Alzheimer's Association is hosting a walk to end Alzheimer's at the Watkins Glen International race track. The walk is held in more than 600 communities across the United States.
"It's about what we can do to support families through the Alzheimer's Association, walks like this and events across the country do just that. The help support the initiative that the Alzheimer's Association supports, with resources and information and just connections that can help make this journey, which is a difficult journey, I've seen it first-hand, much easier for people," explained Watkins Glen walk chairman, Kenneth Roberts.
"While it is a fundraiser, it is our biggest platform to reach people to let them know about the programs and services we offer, and how we can really have an impact in their lives as they're facing this disease. So we really invite everyone to come out, join us and have a great time," said Melissa Gertner, manager for the Walk to End Alzheimer's.
The walk is meant to be an uplifting and positive event, giving hope for families and helping drive support and research for a cure.
- Short Route 1 mile
- Long Route 2.5 miles
Facts about Alzheimer's according to Walk to End Alzheimer's
- More than 6 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's
- Between 2000 and 2019, deaths from Alzheimer's have more than doubled
- One in three seniors die from Alzheimer's or another dementia
- Alzheimer's kills more than breast cancer and prostate cancer combined
- More than 11 million Americans provide unpaid care for people with Alzheimer's or dementia
- In 2023, Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia will cost the United States $345 billion. This number is projected to rise to nearly $1 trillion in 2050.
More information about 2023's walk, registration, donations, and volunteering can be found here. More than 200 people have already registered for the walk at WGI; this year's fundraising goal is $140,000.
The annual Walk2EndAlzheimers takes place at 2790 County Route 16, Watkins Glen NY 14891. Registration opens at 4 pm and the walk kicks off at 5 pm.