United Way hosts Senior Stocking Stuffers Drive
CORNING, NY (WENY)-- Tis the season for giving and sharing, but sometimes we focus on children and forget the elderly. However, the United Way of the Southern Tier has a way you can brighten the holidays for an elderly person this year by donating through their annual Senior Stocking Stuffers Drive.
''It shows seniors that people care about them. They might be home by themselves and the only interaction they get during the day is from the person delivering the meal. This is just another way to say that the community cares about you,'' said Lois Wilson, United Way of the Southern Tier director of communications and community engagement.
Wilson said the United Way is looking for travel-sized items like toiletries, hand sanitizers, hand lotion, tissue packs, puzzle books, sugar-free cocoa packs, eyeglasses cleaners, and card games. Donated items will given to seniors with their holiday meals from the Corning Meals on Wheels and Senior Stocking Stuffers Drive.
Anyone who wants to make a donation can do so at these various locations:
• ServU Credit Union, 7215 St. Rt. 54, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday (lobby).
• Subway, 322 W. Washington St., 8 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday; 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday.
• Pro Action of Steuben & Yates, Inc. Meals on Wheels Senior Nutrition Program, Lakeview Apartments Dining Room, 105 Geneva St., 6 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Corning Family YMCA, 127 Center Way, 5:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday; 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday; 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday.
• Corning Meals on Wheels, 144 Cedar St., 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• ServU Credit Union, 111 Pine St., 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday (lobby).
• United Way of the Southern Tier, 88 E. Tioga Ave., Suite 102, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Hornell Area Family YMCA, 18 Center St., 5:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday; 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday; 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday.
• ServU Credit Union, 10 Taylor St., 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday (lobby).
• ServU Credit Union, 87 Victory Highway, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday (lobby).
These items can be purchased locally or through this Amazon wish list. The last day to make a donation is Friday, December 8th.