Most Memorable Television Moments
SOUTHERN TIER (WENY) After asking a thousand people, Nielsen says the country's most memorable television moment is the September 11th attacks. People we spoke with in the Southern Tier agree with the study.
Nielsen's top 20 TV moments ranked by American viewers includes events like Princess Diana's funeral 1997 and the Columbine school shooting in 1999.
More than half the people WENY-TV spoke with in Elmira and Corning say they agree with Nielsen's rankings.
Neighbors say they vividly remember where they were the day the Twin Towers fell.
"Just as I turned on the TV, that's when the plane was hitting the tower and I just remember staring at the TV, awestruck and not believing what was happening," says Amelia O'Learery of Corning.
"I remember all the science teachers rushing into my class during a Friday disection lab and we all had to crowd around that TV and watch the September 11th event unfold before our eyes," says Schuyler Madison of Rochester.
Here's the complete list from Nielsen:
1. Sept. 11 tragedy (2001)
2. Hurricane Katrina (2005)
3. O.J. Simpson verdict (1995)
4. Challenger space shuttle disaster (1986)
5. Death of Osama bin Laden (2011)
6. O.J. Simpson white Bronco chase (1994)
7. Earthquake in Japan (2011)
8. Columbine High School shootings (1999)
9. BP oil spill (2010)
10. Princess Diana's funeral (1997)
11. Death of Whitney Houston (2012)
12. Capture and execution of Saddam Hussein (2006)
13. Barack Obama's acceptance speech (2008)
14. The Royal Wedding (2011)
15. Assassination of John F. Kennedy (1963)
16. Oklahoma City bombing (1995)
17. Bush/Gore election results (2000)
18. L.A. riots (1992)
19. Casey Anthony verdict (2011)
20. Funeral of John F. Kennedy (1963)