- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL /25/2014 EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL /25/2014 EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL /25/2014 EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL /25/2014 EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL /25/2014 EST
- EFFECTIVE IN YATES COUNTY, NY UNTIL /25/2014 EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 11/25/2014 4:00 AM EST
Former Horseheads Teacher Found Dead
CLYMER (WENY) -- A former Horsheads Assistant Principal and school teacher has been found fatally shot at his home in a small New York town in what authorities say is an apparent homicide.
Chautauqua County sheriff's office personnel found the body of Keith Reed Jr. on Monday after receiving a missing-person report Sunday night. The sheriff's office says it saw no sign of foul play Sunday but returned Monday to the home in Clymer, an agricultural community in rural southwest New York.
Reed's body was outside. The 51-year-old apparently was shot more than once.
Reed had been superintendent of the Clymer Central School District and its 468 students since November.
Reed's teaching career began as a business and distributive education teacher at Horseheads Central School District in 1984. In 1995, Reed was appointed as the intervention specialist for Horseheads High School. In 1997, he moved on to become the Assistant Principal at the Campbell-Savona Middle and High School. Then in 2000, he returned to Horseheads as the Assistant Principal of the High School.
He lived alone and had last been seen Friday.
Town Supervisor Daniel Caflisch says the town's 1,500 residents are "stunned." Principal Ed Bailey says Reed "was well liked by everybody."
Reed earned his Bachelor's degree from St. Bonaventure University and his Master's in Educational Administration from Mansfield Univeristy.