- EFFECTIVE IN CHEMUNG COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN SCHUYLER COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN STEUBEN COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TOMPKINS COUNTY, NY UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN BRADFORD COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 9:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN POTTER COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 8:00 AM EST
- EFFECTIVE IN TIOGA COUNTY, PA UNTIL 5/23/2015 8:00 AM EST
Boating and July Fourth
MONTOUR FALLS (WENY) -- Local marinas plan to see more people this July fourth and next weekend. The holiday is usually one of their busiest times, and marina managers near Seneca Lake say this year's warm temperatures have brought in more boaters.
Some tourism analysts worry the holiday falling in the middle of the week could keep more people at home instead of out traveling. But local managers say they're still expecting a good turnout, even if it's later in the week.
"We expect probably to get more people on the Thursday and Friday from the previous Wednesday because they're probably going to take those times off," says Harold Brown, manager at the Montour Falls Marina. "We'll probably be just as full."
Boat owner Dottie Bernatos annually comes to the Fingerlakes region to spend her summers on Seneca Lake. She and her husband from Harrisburg, PA say it's one of the most relaxing times of the year.
"It's just beautiful, you can't beat this. There's so much water, so little boat traffic, and it's just relaxing. This is our getaway," says Bernatos.
Increased fuel prices for boaters is another drawback to this year's holiday. But the majority of local boat owners say they'll be on the water for the fourth, even if it means they only stay in the marina or visit nearby destinations.