Two Dogs Killed in Elmira Heights Fire
ELMIRA HEIGHTS, NY (WENY) -- An Elmira Heights family is without a place to stay, after the home they were renting went up in flames and killed two of their pets.
Elmira Heights fire officials say fire broke out at the home at 212 Lenox Avenue around 11 last night. When firefighters arrived, flames filled the first floor and had spread to the second floor. They got the fire under control in about 20 minutes. Unfortunately, two dogs died in the blaze, but eight puppies were rescued alive.
Fire officials say the cause of the fire was an overloaded electrical circuit on the back porch, and was ruled accidental. The owner of the home has insurance.